web themes magento designed by zingthemes.com, vietnam visa services, vietnam visa home, vietnam visa trip, magento templates, magento templates, magento templates, 2 cong ty bao ve, 2 dich vu bao ve, 2 bao ve, thoi trang, thoi trang, website chinh phu viet nam, cong thong tin chinh phu viet nam gia vang hom nay, web design blog tin tuc, suc khoe doi song, tin tuc online, tin moi 360, tin tuc online, giai tri thiet ke website, thu thuat cong nghe, thoi bao cong nghe, dien thoai sky han quoc, magento themes, euthemes.com, themetalent.com, wpdance.com

Ed Lenz’s wind turbine powered home

January 8, 2008

Ed Lenz's wind turbine powered home
Photo: Popular Science Magazine

“Ed Lenz’s house is pretty hard to miss—it’s the one with a home-built vertical-axis wind turbine on the roof. A career tinkerer, Lenz put the turbine up there for a test run three years ago, and it’s still turning away today, a super-quiet model of efficiency and ingenuity. The “Lenz2″ turbine, built primarily from easy-to-find supplies like aluminum, plywood and magnets, can produce about 50 kilowatt-hours of electricity per month with steady wind. Its output—about 10 percent of the total power Lenz uses—is then stored in a battery bank that feeds into his home lines. The slow-turning vertical-axis design is most efficient in gusts of 6 to 20 mph, so it’s ideal for relatively low-wind areas like western Michigan, where he lives. You can download plans at windstuffnow.com to build your own Lenz2. It’s not a quick weekend project, but once it’s up and running, paying the electric bill should be a breeze.

Build a Vertical Wind Turbine
Cost: $300
Time: 3 Days”

Website: Plans available from Wind stuff now

Comments

7 Responses to “Ed Lenz’s wind turbine powered home”

1. Cheo on August 21st, 2008 10:48 pm

So interesting is the Lenz Turbine but what i don’t know is the revolutions at cut in, the max. rev it can make since U say that it is a slow work horse. Please furnish me with this. I really want to build one with ceramic block magnets 2″x2″x1″

2. Greener Living thru Technology » Blog Archive » Backyard Wind Turbine, Part 1 on September 24th, 2008 9:35 pm
  3. Praveen Rana on June 3rd, 2009 10:09 pm

VAWT a geeky power mill !!!

Great work, Ed!

Have been reading about your work in the much-needed Savonius design….and of course…good application. The success of your work clearly illustrates that small-scale power production is a feasible proposal for the common man, especially in the third world where people subsist on meager means.

My proposal:
    I live in India and would want to test the turbine under these conditions, but I cannot handle the electrical part of it. If you are requested to design two 500 W each alternator for me — the way you have gone about it or better (for I bet you have improvised) — would you take it up?

If yes, how much would you charge in case the delivery is made in New Jersey, USA, where I would be visiting shortly?

Are you planning the 1kW version? If yes, how much would the alternator cost me?

Once again,
    Keep up the good work

Praveen Rana
    Email: rana.praveen@gmail.com

4. Abid Mustikhan on June 28th, 2009 2:04 am

Hey Ed, How do I know how much power your turbine can produce in a 12mph wind?

5. Fotis Liberopoulos on January 10th, 2010 5:51 am

Good evening from Greece.

My name is Fotis Liberopoulos and I am interested to build some wind turbines based on your design, for commercial purposes.

Is the design patent-dependant? If so, can I rent the rights to use it? how much will this cost?

Thank you for your time and please pardon my English.

6. Cheofuh on August 25th, 2010 4:20 am

Where do you really havethe detailed plans of your turbine?

7. Jim Mcknight on October 31st, 2010 3:38 am

I used to Know an Ed Lenz in Brisbane Calif. Back in the 60′s sometimes we fly kites together. Could this be you??

Got something to say?